Wednesday, August 30, 2023

 I did my assessment and set my weekly goal two days ago but today I’m going to make some changes (this is what it means to be agile)What I realized is my current goals were missing something … I had forgotten to check in with my vision. My weight loss vision is weight loss without all the diet bullshit. And I realized while assessing yesterday's day.. I've been using planning as a way to sneak that diet bullshit back into my life... (probably why I've resisted planning so much!)

So, when I started having urges ... and those urges felt like white knuckling... and when I gave into those urges and went off plan ... I used the 'off plan' part as a reason to tune out.. hurry up and eat... and piled an overeat on top of an off plan eat...
I also realized that another faulty 'diet thinking' habit I have. I have a tendency when I'm 'focused on weight loss' to see how much restriction I can 'tolerate' and still live my life... as in, I'm ok with leaving two bites behind, that didn't feel crummy so let's see if I can leave three...Just how hungry can I stand to be? and then I start having big urges for sugar and carbs (wonder why? I'm hungry - duh) I grab a candy bar and then go 'Oh - this isn't on plan! better eat it fast!' and mindless eating (see above)
So.. here's what I'm going to change... I'm not going to plan (*gasp*) rather than working on the habit of a doable plan AND the habit of listening to doable hunger I'm only going to work on hunger for ALL the rest of this week.
What does that mean for me? It means I eat whatever I'm hungry for... want a candy bar? fine - have a candy bar. But you're going to eat that fucker mindfully. You're going to slow down and actually have every bite. You are going to chew it, and not gulp it. you're going to acknowledge now much is left with each bite instead of looking down and being surprised that 'It's all gone already!? I need a second one! I didn't even enjoy that one!'
And - I'm going to EAT when I'm hungry and actually eat to enough... Stop playing this restriction game with myself. it's not about how little I can have and still have a life... it's how much I can enjoy and still get results!
Do you hear that dictator BRAIN!! the goal is abundance with results!!!
So, how does this look in action?
One - like I said.. no planning. I need to prove to my planning brain that I can do this 'eat anything' thing. (the caveat to that is my weekly dinner planning cause there is nothing that stressing me out at the end of the day more than no knowing 'what's for dinner?'.
two - Im going to continue to use my slow eats app. Even for formally 'bad' foods. If these truly are things I love I want to take the time to enjoy them. Not feel like I'm one of the dogs trying to gulp down a treat before anyone finds out I cleared the counter. I did this a few times last week when I had a cookie and it was actually a cool experience.
three - Make sure I'm truly eating to enough and not just 'not hungry' (eat to 2 instead of 0 to the OG members) since Slow Eats let's me track how many bites I'm taking - that might help me measure. I'm pretty confident that there's a pretty normal 'range' of bites but I need to be open to experiment with them and willing to listen even MORE than I have been.
four - eat when I'm hungry. small letter hungry not HUNGRY! as my kiddo and I like to say - listen for Kathy voice hunger not Corinne voice hunger. Maybe that means timed eating.. or even just a reminder to check in. (I think ADD brain makes me miss hunger cues a lot) - or, I'll acknowledge hunger and then forger I was going to eat... I'll need to get more specific on that moving forward...
anyone had success moving from only noticing you're hungry when you're HUNGRY? what worked for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment