Friday, June 2, 2023

I had an amazing moment of clarity the other day that I wanted to share.
Now - I will tell you all that I've been a member of NoBS for four years. I've worked through a bunch of layers to get to this mental place.. but I'm hoping, maybe, I can help someone else get there faster.
99% of the time (anymore) - the thought that brings up urges is "I want that" or something similar. Yesterday I had that moment, felt the urge (for some of the bourbon sitting on the counter), heard the voice and I paused and asked.. "Why?" Now, here's the thing. My lizard brain... the one that was sending up the urge couldn't tell me "Why" in words that I could understand but I could feel in my body what it would feel like to have that drink, the untightening of my chest, the relaxation of my limbs, warmth at my heart... the followed by the urge again.
Then the words, repeated over and over again by Corinne came to me. "A feeling is just a vibration in your body" And I realized.. What my urge brain was saying was "We want to feel this way..." I still can't name the exact emotional feeling, but I certainly understood what it felt like physically. I also realized, if my urge is asking to feel a certain way... to cause a certain vibration in my body... Why... I know how to feel a feeling on purpose! We've practiced that in NOBS before! So hey brain... let's feel that way now.. but without an off plan drink!
And I did... and it WORKED!!!! 🤯

No comments:

Post a Comment