Monday, April 10, 2006

I’m back!

That’s right, you heard me… I’m back!

There’s none of this, “I’ll try”, “I think”, or “Maybe” in this comeback. It’s 100%baby! I’ve got the kind of motivation that keeps me up. Where I can’t sleep at night because I’m excited about the plans I have for the next day, week, month.

Last night I sat down and wrote a plan of action – assigned myself calorie limits for the week and put down a workout plan. I packed all my food for the day and input into fitday to verify the calories and ratios. I packed my gym back and set out my clothes – I was ready!

I WILL lose 2 lbs at the end of this week!

This morning I didn’t even think twice when the alarm went off – I was out of bed an off to find my clothes. A quick change and a light breakfast and we were headed to the gym!

Shoulders and Triceps today and I was happy to find that I haven’t lost much strength. Of course I started with a bit of cardio. No running today – I’m still coughing a LOT and have a head full of … well stuff so I figured running could wait another week, BUT I hopped on the treadmill and did 30 minutes of walking – it was over a mile by the time I was done.

After that, it was off to the weight room.

Standing dumbbell press: 30 x 6 / 30 x 6 / 30 x 6
Barbell Military Press (+bar): 40 x 6 / 40 x 6
Lat raises: 20 x 6 / 20 x 6

Tri pushdowns: 120 x 4 / 115 x 4 / 115 x 4
Laying tri extensions: 40 x 6 / 40 x 6
Seated tri extensions (both arms at once): 45 x 6 / 45 x 6

And that was that.

So, you may be asking yourself, why is this time different? Believe me, I’ve asked myself that often enough.

Well – I purchased a book called leanness lifestyle. While it didn’t have much to say that I didn’t already know I did pick up two VERY important things from this book. 1 – I should be trying to create ‘most’ of my calorie deficit through exercise instead of through restricting foods. (as in 40-70% of the deficit) which made me realize that all those times I’ve been telling myself that the gym wasn’t really important – it wasn’t true.

2 – And this is the BEST… he teaches you how to stay motivated. He’s got LISTS of ideas but two struck home with me.

First – Leverage… basically create a list of rewards (or punishments) that will happen if you reach/don’t reach your goal. He puts it this way, “do you think that you could achieve the body of your dreams if today someone told you that if you did not, all of the people you love on Earth would disappear forever?”

Of course not all of his examples are negative but they certainly made sense. So, expect in the next week my list of leverages. My fiancé and I have already been working on what they are and believe me – some of the ones I have ideas on are severe. But – when it comes down to a highly stressful day and staring down a chocolate chip cookie – I think I need something severe.

The last thing I'm doing is being REALLY upfront and honest about my daily goals with my fiance. He's the one who's there all the time - who see's what I'm putting into my mouth (especially on the weekends) So right now on my fridge in BIG letters are my goals for today. # of calories, # of minutes of excercise, # oz of water - he's going to check in with me at the end of the day and see how I did! and no "I'm doing ok" allowed I have to give him specific numbers! gah!

Alright then, enough from me. I’ll keep you posted!

Edit: Almost forgot - 206.3 today so even though I haven't been regular at the gym I have managed to see the scale move a little downward - yay!

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're back on track! 2 lbs by the end of the week is a very realistic goal-you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rewards / Punihsments?

    Sounds like a Carrot and stick approach in disguise :-s.

    I feel personally if someone gives their all, and attempts something they believe possible, but just miss out on, then why punish themselves?

    The other problem is, rewarding yourself may often entail negative food, or money. That's my take on it.

    One possibility, is to find something rewarding that doesn't fit either category, or overlap.

    So when you normally shower first thing, try having a relaxing bath one evening, when you've achieved something positive you set out to do.

    You could technically say it's a money thing, as the water's not free, but you're not paying for it then and there, so it's not quite the same thing as spending money that day on rewards.

    Or you could watch a favourite Video / DVD, to reward yourself. again not food or money orientated.

    I've run out of ideas right now. Well it is after 12:45AM :-P.

    Whatever you do decide to do, and how you go about your actions, you are still doing incredibly well, so go easy on yourself, don't be critical or deflate your own balloon, and know you are still very much admired, applauded and I think you're a bit special and an inspiration to many.

    GOOD LUCK!!!! Shawn. I'm certainly 1000% behind you. Yes that does say 1000%, and I know you're capable of awesome things :-).

    I still think you'll compete before you hit 40, and given your strong resolve, I don't think you'll be too quick to make a liar out of me :-).

    Best wishes Shawn, and keep being you. YOU ROCK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're baaaack girly! YOu have such a fantasticly "contagious" fire when it's burnin!! Personally- I've missed it..

    glad you have found a new route to try.. keep us up on how it works!

    ReplyDelete