Saturday, October 18, 2008

Call to Donate...

Dear Family and Friends,
I have some big news to share…

Believe it or not, I'm going to swim/bike/run in the Lavaman Triathlon in Kona, HI on March 29, 2009.  Think I’m crazy?  Truth be told, you may not be so far off the mark!  I'm not in really great shape.  (ok, I’m in terrible shape) My feet aren't so good and sometimes I run out of breath walking up the stairs in my house! As of right now, I can't run very far or for a very long time.  Luckily I’m ‘okay’ on a bike and you who’ve known me since a was small know I’m a fish in the wather.  Still 31.9 miles seems like a really long way to go.  (That’s .9 mile swim, 24.8 mile bike and 6.3 mile run) I mean, really really long (try watching your car's odomoter on a trip until you hit 31.9 miles - it's far!).  So, am I crazy?  Well, a couple of very sane reasons are driving my decision to run:

 The first is that as I approach my 40th birthday I want to focus on two things. One is that I want to get into good shape and the other is that I want to focus on things outside myself and one way to do that is to give something to a worthy cause. What I have discovered is an incredible opportunity to do both things at one time!

 I have signed up with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training program. Through this program, I will not just be running for myself, but in support of an organization that is dedicated to curing lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma and improving the lives of patients and their families.  In exchange for fundraising, the Society will help me train for the race, provide coaching and medical guidance, and will put me together with others of similar skills. Specifically, I will be training in honor of Katy Mueller, my cousin who died of Leukemia when she was only 15 years old.

 Thinking about how fortunate I am and learning about how these diseases affect families (the stories are incredible), it has made one very important thing clear to me:  you can never take anything for granted. Your life can change on the drop of a dime; it's important to seize the opportunity to make a difference when you can.

 So here I am, seizing my opportunity.  My goals are two-fold:  one, to cross the finish line of the Lavaman Triathlon on March 29th. (even if I have to crawl to do it!); and two, to raise $5,000 for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  I'm hoping you will be able to help me with both of these goals.

 Your encouragement and positive reinforcement (i.e., “You swam/biked/ran HOW MANY miles today?!  FABULOUS!!!) will go an incredibly long way in helping me complete this race.  Your financial support will not only help save the lives of those afflicted with blood-related cancers, but make their lives more comfortable and manageable while they are fighting – and winning against - the disease.  Consider also that many of the strides that are made toward curing blood-related cancers translate into making a difference in fighting all types of cancers.

 If you are so inspired to take up this tremendous cause, please feel free to share this email and request with anyone who might be inclined to help. EVERY contribution will have an impact, will be acknowledged personally by me, and will be appreciated by so very many.  If you want to donate, you can do it on line at:

http://pages.teamintraining.org/sf/lavatri09/smuellerboddy

If you prefer to send a check, you may also submit one (payable to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society) to me. Then I complete the Check Donation section of the Participant Donor Form for all check contributions to ensure proper acknowledgment of gift and you will receive a receipt for tax purposes - they will send it to you directly. (Please clarify which address and phone number you want me to report on the form).

You can check on my progress, send encouragement or donate again on my blog at:

http://shawntris.blogspot.com/

As part of my goal to get in shape, I’ve also joined Weight Watchers.  At each weekly weigh in I will be donating $2 for each pound I lose, if you would like to match my pledge, or make another similar to this, please let me know.  I’ll be updating my blog in this regard as well.

Finally, if you know someone who has been afflicted with a blood-related cancer, I would love to run in their honor as well.  Please let me know their name(s) and I will be sure to wear a bracelet for them on race day.

Thank you for your support...

Shawn Mueller-Boddy

429 Chase Street

Mountain House, CA 95391

Shawn.mueller@gmail.com

"There’s no achievement without goals." – Robert J. McKain

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment