Tuesday, August 7, 2018

So, thinking out loud... what would I need to do in order to do a olympic length triathlon in 8 or so months?

1) lose weight (of course)
2) pull together a training plan
     2a) The swim part is no big deal I can swim .9 miles today
     2b) Biking means I need to get back out on my bike and work up to biking 20+ miles
     2c) Serious work is going to need to be done in order to run 10k I can't even do a 5k right now!

So, what's my goal? 

Here's my last race...

https://www.athlinks.com/event/167177/results/Event/86604/Course/123130/Bib/460

Well I wanted to do better than last time - that means sub 5 hours!  I could probably do that pretty easily just by cutting down my transition times (they were really bad!)  But I want to do better on the other legs too!  So, leg goals?

I would be happy with a 40 minute swim again - That's a pretty consistent/easy pace for me.  I can do that without doing much training.

For the bike - last time I did it in 2:10 I'm pretty sure I could do that in less than 2 hours.  I'm much more confident on my bike now then I was then, I have a better seat, I know not to get a blister on my foot! and I know how to wear my shoes to keep from having the numbness issues I was having on that race.  Plus I've done that distance sub 2 hours before, so I could totally do it again!

Running - I struggle with running and I don't see big improvements in that usually.  Last time I did the 10K in 1:46 so I'm going to conservative and do it in 1:40.

BTW my record for an Olympic Tri is 3:16 minutes -- I'm not going to try to beat that record (yet) but I do think I could do it in 4:20 I'm going to aim for being under 4:30 considering I'm coming from a 0 fitness level!  1/2 hour faster than last time!

One thing this is going to change... I'm going to be doing cardio first and weights second - and I may only be doing the 'big lifts' if I run out of time.  This will let me focus on my endurance while still letting me make (or maintain) gains on my major lifting groups (and may help my nagging injuries heal)

Just read through my race report from my last race and it brought tears to my eyes!

https://shawn-nawlb.blogspot.com/2009/04/race-report-lavaman-2009-race.html

No comments:

Post a Comment