Monday, January 19, 2004

Ready for the new week - ready to get my head, heart and body inline and start to make some PROGRESS here! Nigel started the fat burning phase of his diet today and THAT has REALLY pushed me along. Last week I was just so SICK of food! So I took a few days and while I'm sure I didn't do all that badly, I didn't plan or track ANYTHING so I can't give myself green for those days.



I stopped by to see an old friend on Saturday. I had sent her the pictures of my daughter's formal and she was THRILLED to get them, and then mentioned that she haddn't seen the kids in about two years! So I bundled the girls in the car after my son's game (he didn't want to go with me - I'm getting the cold shoulder from him again) and drove them over to see her. She's an AMAZING woman who cares deeply about the people in her life. I sat and talked to her for several hours and was thrilled at how ALIVE and Bubbly she seemed. Finally I got her to stop talking long enough to ask her "So, how are YOU!?" She took a deep breath and with a smile said, "I'm really not doing well. I can't walk anymore, not even to go shopping, or through the neighborhood to visit with the neighbors. My hands stiffen up all the time." She laughed and showed me her middle finger, "especially this one. I get embaraced because I'll be talking and waving my hands and there's my middle finger poking out there, as though I'm being rude. I can't even make the number three. My hair is always a mess because I can't lift my arm, because of my shoulder, BUT (and this was the important part) I keep smiling. There are a lot of people in the world who are a lot worse off then I am. I have a loving family and friends, I make sure to thank God for what he's given me, and I'm content." You see, this lovely, bubbly lady has lupus. Lupus is a chronic inflammatory disease that can affect various parts of the body, especially the skin, joints, blood, and kidneys. The body's immune system normally makes proteins called antibodies to protect the body against viruses, bacteria, and other foreign materials. These foreign materials are called antigens. In an autoimmune disorder such as lupus, the immune system loses its ability to tell the difference between foreign substances (antigens) and its own cells and tissues. The immune system then makes antibodies directed against "self." These antibodies, called "auto-antibodies," react with the "self" antigens to form immune complexes. The immune complexes build up in the tissues and can cause inflammation, injury to tissues, and pain. In my freind's case, her Lupus is severe and it continually attacks the joints in her body, so that at 60 she can barely hobble across the room. And yet, this lady wakes up every morning and thanks God for her blessings. Who am I to complain about cravings in the face of this? How can I skip a workout when I know she's at home, right now, wishing she could just leave her house and walk around her block?



This experiance, combined with a coming across a menu generator that I'm VERY pleased with Has me reved up, ready to go! It generates the menus for me, balances them and prints out the recipies, all I have to do is fix it and eat! No more obsessing over food for me - a really nice break.



Today's menu

Apricot w/yogurt, protein powder, walnuts and oatmeal

Chocolate protein yogurt w/walnuts

Cucumber pita w/boiled egg whites and grapes

Peanut Butter Shake

Greek Pasta Salad



Workout - upper body weights.

No comments:

Post a Comment