Wednesday, March 9, 2005

I just had a FANTASTIC workout today. I finally took ahold of myself, gave myself a little shake and desided ENOUGH SLACKING! I also managed to shake myself out of a MAJOR case of the blues, and I took a nap at lunch in my car - so it could have been why I had the extra energy tonight. I've been coming home and sleeping almost every other day this week!

Anyway - I did my arm workout (yea! Í'm back at the weights) and a run. It was in the 80's today so it was still quite balmy when I got home. Balmy enough to send me running outside to get on my weight machine. Bi's and Tri's all done! whoop!

My run tonight was REALLY intersting - I though I wouild share it in case someone else wanted to give it a try ...

first pick a speed that's just above a level 6 (for me that's 3.7 mph- a brisk walk) We'll call that L6. Then you raise the speed for íntervals. But that's not all - you also vary the incline gradually making each interval harder AND each interval gets longer...

Warm up for 2.5 to 5 minutes

Minute Speed Incline
1 + .5 3
1 L6 3
1.5 + .5 4
1.5 L6 4
2 + .5 5
2 L6 5
3 + .7 6
3 L6 6

You've now finished the first 1/2 of the workout - If you're into shorter cardio sessions stop there and cool down, otherwise take a short 'recovery period' (incline 0 speed L6 for 2.5 minutes) and try this next:

Set the treadmill at L6 + .7mph and leave it there

Minutes Incline
1.5 2
1.5 3
1.5 4
1.5 5
1.5 6

And you're done! cool down for 2.5 to 5 minutes

Not only was this workout fun - but I'm pretty sure I hit a 9 and a 10 in there.


Oh! and the other thing I did that's probably got a LOT to do with me being pumped up and ready to workout? I signed up for a 5K on May 7th. I did my first 5K last year about that time, and I'm ready to challenge myself again. Nothing like a deadline (and a $25 entry fee) to motivate me! anyone in the bay area (or place beyond for that matter) who wants for info.. you can check it out here: The Nut Tree Challenge at Lagoon Valley Best of all - I think I've guilted Nigel into entering as well ;) yeah - he runs to fast for us to do it together, but we can still push and/or remind each other to workout!

Oh - and except for a wierd blip on Monday - I've been under 200 for an entire week now! whoop!

No comments:

Post a Comment