Wednesday, January 12, 2005

I'm not sure the calorie/nutrition split is the best but here is my favorite recipe for pumpkin. It's now a tradition at our house. You could probably modify it to make it fit whatever plan you're on.

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 pound andouille sausage, diced
1/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cups chopped onion
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 pounds pumpkin puree
1/4 cup praline liqueur
7 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/8 cup heavy cream

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Cook diced sausage in skillet with 2 tablespoons butter for 5 minutes.
Add onion and cook until soft. Add thyme and pumpkin OR sweet potatoes and cook 5 minutes.
Add liqueur, broth, and brown sugar. Cover and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes, or until pumpkin OR potatoes are tender.
In blender puree soup in batches. Return to pan and stir in cream and remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Warm but do not boil. Serve immediately.

Nutrition Info
Servings Per Recipe: 7

Amount Per Serving
** Calories: 340
** Total Fat: 21.6g
** Cholesterol: 49mg
** Sodium: 1797mg
** Total Carbs: 27.6g
** Dietary Fiber: 3.4g
** Protein: 10.8g



also check www.allrecipes.com and do an ingrediant search for pumpkin. There's only about 20 or so for soup alone! :)

Oh - and if you do make this soup - one word of caution. When blending hot soup, only put about 1 1/2 cups of soup in the blender at a time. The first time I did it, I filled the blender, put the lid on (Holding it down with my hand of course) and then hit the switch. It EXPLODED! The force was strong enough to blow the lid off. I got scalding hot soup all over my arm (was borderline 2nd degree burn). Not to mention it was on the wall the celing floor... EVERYWHERE. I was lucky I didn't have my face closer.

Anyway - have fun. I would love to know how your veggie challenge goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment