Friday, October 3, 2003

I’ve been trying hard to describe the mood I’m in today and the only word that seems to fit is Euphoric. The funniest thing is that I really don’t know why! Inside it feels as if I’ve topped some hill after a long hard climb and found an enormous, green valley spread out below me. Yes, it will be a challenge to get down there, but the glimpses I’ve had of it are stirring, that there’s no way I can go through live without getting down there to see it closer.



In physical terms, my energy levels have shot through the roof! I’m alive in every since of the word. I feel my body and know it better and deeper then I ever have before.



I’ve found an interesting pastime while running. I imagine what my routine would be if I were to ever do a fitness routine. Understand that this is coming from someone who’s only been at the fringes of the sport. I’ve watched a competition on ESPN now and then, but never with an eye to understand what they were doing or why. I just have this vague recollection of the ‘former gymnast” winning. Still, I think it would be fun to start with something resembling a classical ballet. I took ballet for several years as a young girl and still remember most of my training. (I was 1 year from graduating to ‘point’) I have this vision of a woman (maybe me?) In the classic ballet pose called an “arabesque”’ One leg and one arm lifted, long, lean, graceful, and then curling that raised arm into a flexed bicep – fierce and strong. That’s my goal. That’s the vision I have for myself. That’s the woman I want to be… If not next year, then the year after that.



So, on to much less introspective topics. Today is Upper body day! Yay! Definitely my favorite workout. I think I’ll hit it as soon as I get home, then it back to the books to study study study. Tomorrow’s the big day!



I made an interesting discovery today. While doing my upper body workout last time, on several of my ‘second exercise of my fifth set’ I felt the weight I was using was ‘too much’ – each time it was using 10lbs of weight with 3.5 of collar for a total of 13.5lbs. So, I spotted my old ‘girl’ dumbbells (you know the fixed weight coated in pink plastic) and though “Oh, those are 10 lbs I use those! And I did. So today I was sitting there looking at those dumbbells, thinking about something else when it dawned on my that there wasn’t the number 10 stamped on the end.. it was the number 12! Not THAT different from the 13.5 I had thought was ‘too heavy’. And yet it seemed much lighter! It think I just proved to myself, once again, how much ‘perception’ makes a difference in a workout. Thinking I couldn’t do something, and I couldn’t... Thinking I could.. and POOF, I could. Our brain is an amazing thing. Maybe I need someone else to load my weights for me from now on! Heheheh.

No comments:

Post a Comment